Yes, we've had a milder than normal winter in the areas around Dryden and Cortland, but with the days getting longer and the weather getting warmer, we're starting to think about spring. (Or at least hoping that springtime is coming, anyway.) And whether spring arrives on time, we’ve got you covered with tips to get you ready for the season.
Get Ready for Spring
Although everyone thinks of cleaning when it comes to spring, there are a number of things you should do to make sure your home is ready when the weather in New York changes. Below is a selection of maintenance tasks from the National Center for Healthy Housing (see the full list)
- Check to make sure your roof’s shingles are in good condition (stay safe doing that!), and check your attic for any possible roof leaks that should be repaired.
- Look for peeling paint and add any repairs/touch ups to the honey-do list.
- Clean your dryer vent and make sure exhaust ducts are clear.
- Make sure there are no puddles or wet spots in your basement or crawlspace.
- Clean out any winter debis from your gutters and downspouts.
- Check/replace the batteries your home’s smoke and carbon monoxide alarms.
Beat the Wintertime Blues
Well, you can take solace in the fact that spring will be here eventually. In the meantime, here are some quick tips from Johns Hopkins University to avoid the “winter blues” and get through those long weeks of waiting before spring.
- Keep active. Exercise releases endorphins that will elevate your mood.
- Eat well. High-sugar foods and large amounts of caffeine can feed depression and actually decrease your energy level. Foods such as whole grains, fresh fruits and vegetables, seafood and lean meats can help your immune system.
- Go to the light. Bring as much light into your life as possible, by spending time outdoors, opening your shades so your home receives more natural light, or even get help from a “light box.”
- Get your rest. Go to bed around the same time every night and wake up at the same time each morning. You’ll have more energy during the day.
- Of course, if you have strong feelings of depression, please seek assistance from friends, family or a trusted health-care provider. There are people ready to help, whatever the season.
Contact Us !
If an annual insurance review wasn’t included in your New Year’s resolutions, why not get it done while you’re in the cleaning and organizing mood this spring? Your life changes over the course of a year – sometimes in monumental ways. That means your insurance needs can change, too.
At the Bailey Insurance Agency we can work with you to make sure you’ve got the coverage you need, while at the same time utilizing all possible credits and discounts to make that coverage affordable. Just contact us or give us a call at (607) 844-8626 or (607) 756-2805. We want to help you meet your goals, and make sure what’s important to you is protected!
There are no comments yet.